Friday 2 September 2011

Weekend Off - Part 1

Here we are, a new player in place, wanting to see where he is going to fit in. Will he fit in? So what happens, nothing. International fortnight !!!!! Saturday boredom. For those who are wanting to fill their time on Saturday, go and support your local team. Not me, Wick Academy play in B & W so no. Petty I know but that is me.

Been an interesting few weeks since I last looked in here. I was not an exile for the derby game. My sister had a spare ticket and offered it to me, how could I of refused.  Jumped in me car Friday morning (had to wear my top, can't travel without your colours) and off down the A99, A9, M90, A1 to Berwick and my bed over night. Took me 8 hours, with only 2 stops. The first 2 roads are about the most annoying roads in the country. They go through the spine of Scotland but are not dual carriage way. Get behind a lorry or 2 or 3, or behind a caravan or a tourist looking at the beautiful hills at 40mph and you sit there with your temperature high enough to melt the snow on the top of the mountains. You see a overtaking lane or a short dual carriageway and you take off, pass all those people that have sent you into orbit and then the 2 lanes end just before you can pass the next 2 lorries in front of you. Temperature rising again.



Saturday morning, early start, going on a 2 hour journey to SOL with a bacon buttie stop at Haggerston. Excitement rising, who will start, what is the lineup. Will Gyan be OK as a lone striker, will Rico be LB or will O'shea be fit? If so what will the backline be? Who will partner Brown? The anticipation is almost as exciting as the actual game, well in this instance much better than the game.

Walk over to the stadium, thinking of all the times when I did that every week. Shock, Joan Cafe is no more, how could that of happened.One of pre-match haunts gone, another piece of history gone. Not enough time to test the new owners. The same excitement as I go through my usual turnstile. Where is my smiling young steward, always at the top of the stairs, she is no more, 3 new faces. I am next block along from were I was but still a good seat, East Stand Row 7 right of the halfway line.

I won't describe the game as that has been gone over by other X number of times. I will just say if some of our chances had gone in early on we would of won that. The Mags were there for the taking. It was the same as many of our games, chances not taken, opposition grows in confidence and ours goes down. They score, end of game.

Half time off to be watered & fed. One thing that has not changed & that is the hopeless catering. I needed some food because of a medical condition so no pee. All i wanted was a pie and a bottle of water, could I get one before the teams came out, no. Why can't they sort it out. Don't the club want people to spend money? On the plus side I found my smiling young lady steward, she had been moved & she remembered me, best part of the game.

The journey home was not a happy one, yet another derby defeat. Yet again they seemed to want it more than us. Bruce out, Gyan out, the whole world out. Well you do tend to go over the top a little when this happens.

They journey home was just as long, just as frustrating but unlike coming down, not the excitement of what might be. No, it was replaced by the worry of what might be on the Tuesday night, Brighton.

The sad thing is the worry was justified.


No comments:

Post a Comment