Sunday 14 August 2011

Sunday Morning thoughts


Time for the second episode of this blog. Thought I would take advantage of our Caithness summer. Sat outside, laptop on table looking out over the hill at the back of us (memo find out its name, after being here 18 mths I should really know it). It is not a summer’s day as you know it, the washing is horizontal on the line (a slight Caithness breeze) but the sun is out, so it must be summer. Also I can sit here in short sleeves, no shorts though, now that is one step too far.


The day after the match, how do I spend it? To be honest totally depends on how the game was. A dreadful game and I try to forget it. Towards the end of last season, that was most Sunday’s. If as yesterday’s then I want to see more.
Match of the Day with breakfast is the start. Getting old and our game is usually the last. That means, go to bed and watch the recording on Sunday. My life can’t really start until I have sorted the dogs out, that means feeding them and a short walk, well it is Sunday and I have important things to do, don’t I? I also try to fit in the first half of Andrew Mar, told you I was getting old.
After all of that I can sit down and properly concentrate on the important things. Watch the game via”Football First” recording, then “Sunday Supplement” if I think I might be interesting and then maybe “Goals on Sunday”. Sky does get a bit of a hammering Sunday morning.
 May have noticed, no word of the papers. Well that is simple; I don’t get them or a daily. The reason is also simple, a 5 mile journey to buy one; also being in Scotland, no English match reports. You would think I live in a different country or something. The joy these days of the internet I can read the reports on there as and when I fancy it.
Well what about yesterday? Well you know gov, it was a game of 2 halves, ya know what I mean. Started with a surprise, only 2 of our new players starting. Glad they did though as they as they proved crucial to the day. Brown was so decisive in defence, mind with the experience he has had, you could just see it, a class act. When O’Shea is fit, should really improve one of our weak areas, the defence. These 2 have played many times, in every club competition possible. This should also help the other squad members, especially the kids.
The other new guy, Seb, well what a goal. Could replay that goal all day long. Is it going to be our goal of the season? Would be wonderful if not, then goal that beats it would have to be sublime.  Seb’s other asset is he can kick a dead ball. How long is it since we have been able to beat the first man, Rico’s attempt at Fulham? He has been trying ever since, failing every time.
Talking of Rico and I wish I’m not. I will never be convinced that he is our answer at LB. Why oh why can’t we go out and buy one. How many managers have not bought us one? That mindless mis-pass that led to the penalty, crass. Yes he did improve but you also need to ask, is his heart really at Left back.
Well after their missed penalty and their first goal, I thought that was it, same old. Yes, I was wrong, not the first time it has been said, especially by my wife. Thinking about it she is always saying that about me. In the second half we started to play and we showed we could pass. Elmo proved that he could cross a ball. Colbeck became more effective. Catts managed to stay on the pitch, even after being booked needlessly early on. Sess was majestic, except for his shooting boots. Can we buy him a pair for Saturday or find his old ones?
Sorry you will not get a deep analysis of the game or players. Never been able to do that, not even at work.  30 years in IT, always worked by gut feeling. If I sat down before and tried to plan things out I would get in a hell of a mess. So I just did what felt right. Most of the time it was right and even though I say it myself it worked very well. Ended up running a department handling multi million contracts. I do the same with my football, if it looks good, feels good, it must be good. If it looks like shit then it must be shit. I am a very simple bloke
How does my gut feel now? Thanks for asking it feels good. A tricky game, Dalgiish has a lot to prove. Spent lots of money and has to have success. We could of tripped up badily here but we did not. We showed spirit by picking ourselves up after a bad start and could of won it, if Catts had been on target at the end.
We still need the left side sorted, please, please Mr Bruce help us poor fans and buy a left sided player for this season. I know you have bought one for next, McClean. Gyan I thought was a little off colour but not too worried about that. Ji looked as if he could come good given time.
I think we will have a good season. We have sound premiership players in the team. Currently we have a strong bench, let’s hope injuries do not deplete it as happened last season.
 So, positive thoughts are travelling down from the Far North and yes we will stuff the mags.

Talking of travelling news to come ………… I will be there next week. More news of that during the week.

Can I have some feedback please. Even if you think its rubbish then tell me, would prefer if you said that you enjoyed it though. 

No comments:

Post a Comment