Friday 12 August 2011

The start of a glorious new season, yet again

Well folks this is it, isn't it. The start of a new season, all of our hopes, fears, excitement. How are we going to do this season? Stupid question isn't it, we are going to win the Premiership, FA Cup & Carling Cup !!! Of course we won't but if we can't dream at this time of the season when can we?

This is the second season when the excitement is a little less than it used to be. This is of my own making. 18 months ago I decided it would be a good idea to move as far north as you can on the UK mainland, Caithness. My directions usually are, head north to the A9 and just keep on going. Stop just before you end up in the sea, turn left and you have found me.



I am in a beautiful part of the world. It might be even more beautiful if the sun shone a little more and the wind would have the odd week off. Mind you in June/July the sun tends to shine at 2am, hardly ever at 2pm. As it takes me about 3 hours to travel to Inverness, never mind how long it would take me to Sunderland, you will gather i don't attend many games. Before moving here I was a Season ticket holder & avid away fan, attending as many away games as home games. Mind Living in Leicester, most away games were closer than home games. What a mixed up world that of a football supporter it is.

What does this exile in Caithness do on match day? Well first thing is try to keep the day as clear as i can. Have an early lunch, sit down at my PC, tune into Real Radio for The Legends. Yes, they do talk rubbish especially MacDonald. Last season he kept on saying Bruce had Gyan pushed on him and that was why Bruce was not playing him, fool. Don't have any other options for pre-match buildup. Around me I have my Monty signed photo of his great save in '73, my framed shirt & a signed SAFC ball bought for me by none other than Denise Welch & Tim Healy at a charity auction dinner. They even had to touch it & have it on their table for most of that evening.

At 2.45 I will be checking that the internet connection is OK for the game, the picture is acceptable. £6 for 60 days not a bad charge. I usually have Coops on the radio & the sound off on the stream. The major problem there is the sound is ahead of the pictures, can be confusing. Now thanks to the greed of the Mags, Coops will not be on now. Not sure what commentary i will listen to.

How do I think this season will go? Well better than last season. No not Champions League spot. Yes, I would be happy with 10th. I know that is where we finished last season but this seasons without the normal flirtation with relegation due to a post Christmas slump. Slump does not describe it, does it, it is usually a comma with the no sign of life.

I would prefer, say 8th or even 7th, that would be a good season. Remember we have almost a new team now. They will take time to bed in and also some young new players, who we may not see starting full time until next season. It would be too much to expect the like of Wickham & Ji to hit the ground running.

In midfield we have about 3 players for each position now so it will be interesting to see who starts. Meyler is on his way back, lets hope he is not rush again. With so many options there is no need. We do have a true left sided player in McClean. Again he will need time to settle after coming from the Irish league.

The defence i think still has possible faults in it. Who should be our centre halves, should it be Anton & Titus or Brown & Titus. When O'shea is fit and hopefully stays fit, Brown & O'Shea? Is Rico the answer in LB? No sure about that. Bardo back to his international position, are we happy.? I am prepared to see.

What about attack? Gyan of course but if he is injured, where does that leave us? In trouble I think. It will be interesting to see where Sess will play if Ji or Wickham plays as well as Gyan.

This is one of the exciting things about the start of the season who will play were, how will they all settle in. Tomorrow by 4.50 we will have some idea. Will we be happy or will we be thinking, oh no at least we will stuff the Mags next week.

Writing this I can feel the excitement building even higher. What will I be like a 3pm tomorrow? I think I will have to have a drink near by, purely for medical purposes you understand.

Those of you going, shout loud for me. Also give young Henderson a cheer too, bear him no ill will. I can only wish him well, except for tomorrow.



1 comment: