Thursday 24 November 2011

Another Must Win Weekend

Here I am a home alone kid. My wife has gone down to Leicester leaving me and the dogs alone to fend for ourselves. Shame, I get to eat what ever I like and do what ever I like. How will I survive? I will think about that later but in the meantime the continuing tale of our beloved club.
I must say I am getting tired of writing whether Bruce should go or not. I should be writing about the Fulham game or what will be happening on Saturday. Instead it is Bruce. I must say I am still in the Bruce out camp but the question is when.

Why am still in that camp? Well basically we are still dragging our knuckles perilously close to the relegation zone. Last weekend was the start of a run of games that we need to win. They are against clubs that we need to beat to improve our table position, Fulham, Wigan, Wolves & Blackburn. Two of these are in the relegation zone and Wolves on the same points as us but 4th bottom. That is just how close we are to the relegation zone.

Saturday highlighted two of the main criticisms against Bruce, his tactics & the players he has bought or not bought. This is a game that we needed to win, playing at home what do we do, one up front. In 2011, that is something like 3 home wins, is that good enough? Because Larsson was suspended we had to bring Elmo in and he proved what a waste of space he is. He can run but can't beat his man and his crosses are just punts into the box and they don't often end up there. I do think it is wrong to start with both Colback & Catts., they are too similar. I think that Colback is the more attacking option and also being young has more to give. Catts is Catts and is always in danger of being sent off. Last weekend book within 27 mins. I don't think that he is going to improve as a player, so give me Colback.

In midfield Sess again was our best player. No one can complain about Richardson's effort but his effect is debatable. I still prefer him on the left, floating in, than in defence. After n years and 2 managers the left is still a disgrace.

The defence was capable, I am liking the Brown/Turner pairing. Not 100% about O'Shea but will let him get back to proper fitness and then I will judge. Westwood has proved how good he is and will be hard to oust. Sorry I don't think Gordon will be able to get his place back and we have most likely have seen the last of him in a Sunderland shirt.

Some of the play on Saturday was very good. Lovely passing, being able to find our man, which makes a change but it all died out once we got near goal. Yes might of been different if instead of hitting the bar those 2 shots had gone in, but those shot were the exception, we seemed to have nothing up front.

We had a player sat on the bench who had just scored a hat-trick against the Mags and what happened, he was given 3 minutes. What was he going to do in 3 minutes? What Ryan Noble did was to show he was prepared to run off the ball and was not afraid to get into the box. He maybe slight but when a guy, just back from injury, in 3 games scores 4 goals and when fit scored over 30 goals in one season, he deserves more than 3 minutes. Especially when Wickham was injured and apart from Bendtner all we had was Ji, whose international manager that week had criticize his fitness.

I feel happier about Bendtner since his article in the Journal. He clarified his position by saying of course he wanted champions league football, which player wouldn't but he would be happy to stay with us. Remember he has not been playing week in week out for a while, so again I think he will get better.

What we do have is top heavy young strikers. We have Ji & Wickham who we bought in August. Coming back maybe in January Campbell and it seems we have a young Swedish lad over for the 2nd time with the hope of completing his signing. Then we have Noble and Cook from the reserves. I am not sure what we should do in January, should we buy a experienced striker, that is if we can find one. This push back the youngsters chances or should we give the young ones ago?

As for Wigan, to use well used phrases, "it is a must win game", "a six pointer". This means that this week we must go with 2 up front. The only two I can see are Noble & Bendtner. The only thing about Noble is he won't be on a high from his hat-trick, as he would of been against Fulham. The midfield being Colback, Sess, Gardner & Larsson, hoping Gardner will score the midfield goals what we bought him for.  Defence almost picks itself currently except for left back. O'Shea, Brown, Turner and I will go for Bardsley. In goal of course Westwood.

Talking about youngsters, nice to see we have another central defender coming through, Egan. He has now replaced another youngster Laing who seemed to be distended for a first team place. If Turner has not recovered from the head wound then we may see him start, mind I think Turner will be OK.

When your at the game just imagine  the 3 of us home alone. Especially this poor thing. One friend called her "The trailer tart of Tomintoul"

What ever we feel about Bruce never let the lads down and sign ya hearts out for them.


Ha'waaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy 
the Lads





No comments:

Post a Comment